Wednesday 25 September 2013

Part 2: Pencil Sketching - The Roman Colosseum

Winston Churchill once said that "we shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us".
In my mind, buildings personify and embody the diverse cultures that exist today, reflecting the power and endless potential of man's genius. It is my passion for Architecture that acts as a catalyst for inspiration and therefore have given me an opportunity to appreciate the aesthetic beauty.
To me, viewing a structure in person is substantially more potent than a mere image. Travelling has succeeded in broadening my horizons and opening up my mind, therefore allowing me to appreciate traditional Architecture. Hopefully some day I will travel around the world and see the beauty it beholds, but for now its the images that inspires me to sketch them.

One such place is the Colosseum, built by the ancient Romans, is a masterpiece of architecture. This great amphitheater was built nearly two thousand years ago for the purpose of hosting violent gladiator games (wild beasts to fight in with men in the sandy arena). Scary but true !!! This reminds me of the movie Gladiator where Maximus proves a fierce gladiator. The Roman Colosseum is the most famous monument to have survived from the classical world. 

The Colosseum also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre is an elliptical amphitheater in the centre of the city of RomeItalyIt is the largest amphitheatre in the world. The three emperors who built it were from the Flavian dynasty, and thus was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius). The Colosseum is an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome.

So moving away from history, the Roman Colosseum is one such architectural monument that I personally like and hope to see it in person someday,so for now here is the pencil sketch of it drawn by me.



So do tell me all about your travel experiences to such places or about your sketches on monuments/places.
And let me know if you liked the post in the comments section below. 

2 comments:

  1. nice post! following u on twitter. However, i thought the proportion on the left side is a little off? but i loved ur previous sketches.. and ur article on charcoal.. M sure u'll only get better....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Navina.. Oh my sketch is not from the photograph so it looks different.. Thanks for going through my posts and you are most welcome to give me your inputs...

      Delete